Cape Level Nationwide Park is an unbelievable reserve simply 70 km from Cape City. The surroundings at Cape Level is really spectacular; white-sand seashores, rugged cliffs, dramatic drops, weird rock formations, fynbos vegetation, and many others. The wildlife on the park is sort of spectacular; ostriches, totally different antelopes, mongooses, zebras, tortoises, dolphins, and even whales within the season (July to September). It’s one of many must-visit locations in Cape City for nature and outdoor lovers.
Cape Level is an ideal place for a day journey from Cape City particularly when you’re planning to spend a while on the park and do some mountaineering. You possibly can mix a go to to Cape Level with the Cape Peninsula drive, probably the most scenic drives in Cape City.
The well-known Cape of Good Hope is contained in the Cape Level Nationwide Park. Many vacationers assume it’s the southernmost level of Africa. In actual fact, it’s probably the most south-western level of the continent. The precise southernmost level of Africa and the assembly level of two oceans is 250 km west at Cape Agulhas.
Mountaineering is among the many wonderful issues to do in Cape City. The town is an ideal place for out of doors lovers right here you possibly can take pleasure in diving, browsing, kitesurfing, paragliding, mountain biking, and extra.
Cape Level Nationwide Park
- Opening time – each day from 8am to 4pm
- Entrance payment – South Africans (with IDs); adults – ZAR 85/US$5, youngsters – ZAR 40/US$2,5; foreigners ZAR 340/US$22, youngsters ZAR 170/US$11.
Cape Level excursions and actions
Renting a automobile in Cape City
If you happen to’re not native and don’t have a automobile in Cape City the easiest way to maneuver round particularly when you’re planning to go to some sights positioned exterior the town is to hire a automobile. To drive across the metropolis you don’t want a giant 4×Four automobile. Relying on how many individuals you’re and what automobile you need you possibly can hire a automobile (Kia Picanto, Datsun) from ZAR 200/US$13 per day (if renting for Three days). Automated vehicles are dearer, costs begin at ZAR 300/US$20 per day (if renting for Three days). The longer you hire a automobile for the cheaper it will get per day.
Stunning day hikes at Cape Level Nationwide Park
Even when you’re not planning on doing any mountaineering at Cape Level it’s nonetheless value together with this incredible place in your Cape City itinerary.
A lot of the urged day hikes we walked as part of a 2-day mountaineering route round Cape Level. Extra particulars on the Cape of Good Hope hike you’ll find under.
The Cape of Good Hope hike
- Distance – Three km
- Time – 1h30min.-2 hours
- Beginning/ending level – automobile parking heaps at Flying Dutch Funicular or at Cape of Good Hope
- Highlights – Previous Lighthouse, Cape Level, Cape of Good Hope, Dias Seashore
If you wish to select one hike to do at Cape Level that is undoubtedly the one. It’s a simple brief stroll totally on boardwalks alongside the cliffs with incredible views. There are a few staircases to beat the Previous Lighthouse and down and as much as Dias Seashore (200 steps). There’s a funicular that runs from the parking zone to the lighthouse. You should purchase funicular tickets on-line to avoid wasting time. If you happen to’re fortunate within the peak season (August-September) you may spot Southern proper whales within the waters round Cape Level. A more in-depth encounter with these stunning giants you possibly can have throughout a whale-watching boat tour in Hermanus.
This half is an non-compulsory on the primary day of the Cape of Good Hope trek after reaching the hut.
The Shipwreck Circuit
- Distance – 5 km loop
- Time – 2 hours – 2h30min.
- Beginning/ending level – automobile parking zone at Olifantsbos Seashore
- Highlights – untouched coast, a few shipwrecks, sandy seashores, and dunes, rocky swimming pools, fynbos vegetation.
The path goes by a really quiet a part of the park. It’s a terrific choice for individuals who’ve been to the principle sights at Cape Level and wish moderately a solitary hike with probabilities to identify some wildlife. There is no such thing as a place to purchase meals or refill water on this route so be certain to deliver sufficient water and snacks with you. As an choice, you possibly can shorten the hike and stroll to Thomas Tucker shipwreck and again as an alternative of doing a loop.
The Sirkelsvlei Circuit
- Distance – 6,5 km loop
- Time – Three hours – 3h30min.
- Beginning/ending level – automobile parking zone at Olifantsbos Seashore
- Highlights – fynbos, weird rock formations, numerous wildlife, Sirkelsvlei dam
One other circuit route that begins at Olifantsbos Seashore. You don’t get to stroll a lot alongside the coast however you do have stunning views of the coast. It’s an inland route with little or no shadow in summer time it will get extremely popular it’s higher to begin strolling early within the morning. You possibly can mix this hike with the Shipwreck Path and stroll first half alongside the coast after which flip inland. On this case the whole strolling distance can be round 7,5 km.
The Kanonkop path
- Distance – 6,5 km return
- Time – Three hours – 3h30min.
- Beginning/ending level – Bufflesfontein Customer Middle automobile parking
- Highlights – an outdated cannon, incredible views from Kanonkop peak, blue Disas (in summer time)
It’s a pleasant route with an ascent to the height and a subsequent descent to the coast. The path affords nice views of the coast and the park. Between mid-January and February you’ll find blue disa orchids alongside the route. After descending from Kanonkop you possibly can prolong your stroll to Venus Pool, a good looking rocky tidal pool. It’ll add about 2,5 km to the hike.
This hike is part of the primary day route of the Cape of Good Hope trek when you stroll the inland route.
If you happen to like difficult walks you’ll take pleasure in one of many mountaineering trails up Desk Mountain. There are a number of stunning routes that go to the highest with the breathtaking surroundings.
Locations to remain close to Cape Level
Simon’s City is located km from the park affords nice lodging choices for various budgets. The attractive Boulder’s Seashore house to a colony of cute African penguins is true there.
Journey insurance coverage for South Africa
It’s at all times advisable for vacationers to have journey insurance coverage particularly when you’re planning on doing journey and out of doors actions out of the country. World Nomads is a superb choice for vacationers. Their insurance coverage coverage may be very versatile, you should purchase it earlier than or throughout your journey to cowl your complete journey interval or solely particular days. You will get an on the spot quote now!
The Cape of Good Hope – a 2-day trek round Cape Level
The hike at one of many iconic vacationer sights in South Africa is an unbelievable expertise. We hope our Cape of Good Hope mountaineering information will allow you to to plan the hike. The whole distance of the hike 38,7 km. To finish the route you want 2 days and 1 evening. It’s a round route that begins and ends on the essential gate of the Cape Level Nationwide Park. You undergo the fynbos, over the cliffs, alongside the seashores many of the path goes by often visited by day guests a part of the park. This 2-day trek is an ideal weekend getaway from Cape City for individuals who take pleasure in mountaineering and nature.
If you happen to like multi-day mountaineering trails, like strolling alongside the coast and recognizing wildlife on the way in which you’ll undoubtedly benefit from the Otter Path, probably the most stunning treks in South Africa.
- Distance – 38,7 km loop + 7 km when you stroll to the Cape Level from the hut and again
- Time – 2 days
- Elevation acquire – 1461 m
- Elevation loss – 1500 m
- Terrain – footpath, seaside, boulders
- Route marking – yellow footprints
The way to e book the hike?
You possibly can e book it over the cellphone (021-712-74-71 or 012-428-91-11) or e-mail ([email protected]) Mon-Fri from 8am to 4pm. You possibly can examine for out there mountaineering dates over the cellphone or by e-mail as properly. To verify your reserving you must make a fee for the hut. After that, you’ll obtain a affirmation e-mail with quite a lot of data on the hike.
If you wish to do the hike over a weekend particularly in summer time months it’s extremely advisable to make a reserving prematurely. We booked it two weeks prematurely and the closest to the weekend we might get is Friday.
There are Three in a single day huts; Erica (6 individuals), Protea (12 individuals, 2 rooms with 6 beds every), and Restio (12 individuals, 2 rooms with 6 beds every). You possibly can e book your complete hut even when you’re solely 2 individuals however you’ll should pay the complete worth. In any other case, you might need to share a hut with different hikers, not out of your group.
Word! At the moment, as a result of COVID restrictions, it’s not allowed to share a hut with different teams, you must e book your complete hut and pay for it no matter how many individuals are going to remain at it. It really works out less expensive when you’re a gaggle of 6.
How a lot does it value?
- The price of the in a single day huts – ZAR 358/US$24 per individual, ZAR 2151/US$143 for a 6-people hut.
- Entrance payment to Cape Level Nature Reserve – South Africans – ZAR 85/US$5; foreigners – ZAR 340/US$22, free if in case you have a Wild Card. Don’t overlook to deliver your ID to substantiate that you just’re South African or a resident.
Lodging on the path
Hikers keep at one of many three in a single day huts; Protea, Restio, and Erica. Erica can accommodate 6 individuals, Protea and Restio 12 individuals (two rooms for six individuals every). The huts are clear and comfy. We’ve performed the hike twice and stayed at Protea and Erica huts. Protea and Restio are located subsequent to one another, Erica is a bit aside.
- bunk beds with mattresses
- a scorching water bathe (gasoline heater)
- flushing rest room
- electrical energy (photo voltaic lightning, no energy sockets)
- a braai place with a braai grid
- a kitchen with a gasoline range, sinks, tables, chairs, pots, plates, cups, and utensils. There aren’t many cups I’d counsel bringing a plastic cup.
How tough is the hike?
The path will not be very difficult; there are some ascents and descents however nothing hectic. For an unfit individual not used to mountaineering, it may be powerful for fairly match hikers not. The warmth in summer time makes the hike harder particularly when you don’t carry sufficient water and don’t shield your pores and skin from sunburns. It’s not a hike to do with younger youngsters. In case your children are older than 12 and used to mountaineering they need to be tremendous.
What to pack for the hike?
Hikers keep at absolutely geared up huts no want to hold any tenting or cooking gear until you’re planning to make meals or boil water on the way in which.
- A sleeping bag, we had skinny summer time baggage it was fairly scorching exterior however when you do it in winter take a hotter one.
- A towel and toiletries for the bathe.
- A pillow (you possibly can deliver a blow-up one or simply use your garments as an alternative).
- Flip flops or any snug sneakers to alter into out of your mountaineering sneakers.
- A set of garments for sleeping.
- A headlamp or a torch in case you’ll should hike at the hours of darkness.
- A digital camera/cellphone to take images or movies.
- A camel pack or a water bottle. In summer time be certain to hold 2l of water per individual it will get extremely popular, and there aren’t any locations to refill water on the way in which.
- Meals, it’s as much as you ways a lot and what to deliver. We had steaks, smash, and cuscus for dinner; on the spot oats, pastry, and occasional for breakfast; biltong and protein bars for lunch. You’ll want meals for 2 lunches, one dinner, and one breakfast.
- Coals when you’re planning to braai.
The place to park your automobile?
There’s a secure parking zone contained in the park on the essential gate, all multi-day hikers depart their vehicles there. It’s freed from cost. Although it’s secure don’t depart any priceless stuff within the automobile.
Word! You possibly can stroll the route each methods clockwise or anticlockwise. The principle distinction is the gap you stroll on Day 1 and Day 2. We’ve walked each methods clockwise and counterclockwise.
Strolling clockwise vs counterclockwise
It’s doable to stroll the path both approach; clockwise or counterclockwise. The official map recommends clockwise. We’ve performed the trek twice and stroll each methods. Bear in mind, on the primary day, you should check-in on the gate earlier than 9am when you’re late they won’t allow you to go.
- Your first day is brief, solely 13 km which is sweet contemplating that you just’ll most likely begin strolling fairly late as you want time to drive to Cape Level first, check-in on the gate, and many others.
- As a result of the gap is brief you’ll have sufficient time to do an additional loop round Cape Level, go to Dias Seashore, the Lighthouse, and many others. It’s about 10 km additional. I like to recommend leaving your backpacks on the hut and taking solely valuables with you earlier than you go to Cape Level.
- The second day is sort of lengthy, 23 km which implies you’ll be performed by lunchtime or so.
Cape of Good Hope – a 2-day mountaineering itinerary
Day 1. Cape Level entrance gate to Erica hut (clockwise)
- Distance – 15,7 km
- Strolling time – Four hours
- Elevation acquire – 768 m
- Elevation loss – 805 m
On the primary day, you should register for the hike on the entrance gate earlier than 9am. It’s important to begin your mountaineering day early particularly if you wish to do an additional loop and go to Cape of Good Hope and the Lighthouse. Another excuse for beginning early is the warmth when you stroll in summer time. There is no such thing as a shade the path is uncovered to the solar.
The primary day is my favourite; the path follows the coast and affords some breathtaking views of Cape of Level and Cape Peninsula.
There may be a route break up at Kanonkop; the shorter route goes extra inland previous Bufflesfontein Customer Middle, the longer route goes right down to the coast previous Da Gama Cross to Buffels Bay seaside. Quickly after Buffels Bay, each trails merge once more. We’ve walked each routes and the coastal one is ore favourite. On a scorching day, you possibly can go for a fast dip at one of many tidal swimming pools.
You probably have time and vitality after arriving at your hut you possibly can depart your stuff there (take solely valuables) and stroll to Cape Level, the principle touristy space of the park. There’s a footpath that goes over Da Gama peak right down to the parking zone and a restaurant at Cape Level. As soon as there you possibly can stroll (or take Flying Dutch funicular) to the Lighthouse, Cape Level, Dias Seashore, Cape of Good Hope and stroll again to the hut the identical approach. It’s about 7-Eight kilometers return, you’ll want 2-Three hours for this stretch.
Don’t miss the sundown on the hut you get fairly spectacular views of Cape Peninsula from the above. On a transparent day, you possibly can see the solar happening into the ocean. The views are simply as stunning as on the sundown hike up Lion’s Head.
Day 2. Erica hut to Cape Level entrance gate
- Distance – 23 km
- Strolling time – 5h30min.
- Elevation acquire – 693 m
- Elevation loss – 695 m
It’s higher to begin mountaineering early on the second day if you wish to be performed by lunchtime. The path on the second day is simply as uncovered to the solar as on the primary day. The primary half of the route after descending from the hut is alongside the coast with occasional strolling on the seaside. The second half is inland largely by the fynbos. On this stretch, you could have probabilities to identify leopard tortoises, ostriches, and elands.